Saturday, January 19, 2013

Well, I didn't get to go swimming, probably just as well,  given the deadly hippos and schistosomiasis. It just seems kind of hilarious that such a dangerous animal seems so cute. I think it's the ears. How could something with such  innocent looking ears be so vicious?  Anyhow, this  is where I had lunch, a  restaurant on the beach, and for some reason this afternoon, a  veritable  wildlife  sanctuary.  There  were  ibises,  cormorants, flycatchers, and hippos of course. The hippos just hung out about 10 metres off shore all  afternoon. Most of the time you couldn't even  tell they  were there because they were submerged  or almost submerged. I don't even know why a bird would perch there. Does it know that's it's on a hippo's back? Most of the time it just looks like a rock anyways. And in the background is the dark and mysterious Congo.  This was one of those times when you have a sense of overwhelming beauty and no  way to really capture it. The photo  is ok I guess, but I sat here and ate my lunch (Nile perch) and just tried to take it all in.

No comments: