Sunday, January 27, 2013

I left Bujumbura this morning to this sight. I am told that some kind of electrical problem started this fire, which is in the central market downtown. People were very upset and the fire department seemed unable to do much, I guess because of the electrical. The fire started around 7 am--I know this because I was eating breakfast at my hotel and I saw the first burst of smoke rising up a few blocks away. A few minutes later, I grabbed my camera and headed in that direction as were hundreds of other people. When my plane took  off a few hours after that, the plume of smoke was easily seen rising up in the centre of town and the fire looked like it was not showing any signs of slowing. A tragic day for the town and for the country

1 comment:

Jackson said...

Hey Bob. It seems you left Bujumbura this morning !!! The fire at the market was intense and by 1pm local time they were still trying to fight it. I hope u had a safe journey.