Saturday, January 19, 2013

Today is Saturday  and I'm  going to  the beach. And before anyone starts thinking I'm just here on vacation (I know you're thinking it) I am actually  here doing stuff.  The main things are research  for a new watershed project  we  want to start, and helping  with a mapping  project for a grass disease that is becoming a big threat  in East Africa. I  even got up this morning  and  did some work on both if you want to know.

When I go to  the beach  today,  I am contemplating  swimming. It's 30 degrees  and a quick search of the internet confirms that Lake Tanganika is much safer to swim in than Lake Victoria. I know a bunch of people who got schistosomiasis in Lake Victoria  a  few years back. Lake Tanganika is less populated, and the water is much cleaner. This also backs up  my  personal theory that Tanganika is cleaner because  the fish taste better.  Not much to go on,  a personal supposition supported  by anecdotal stories  from the web.

No comments: