Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Nyakazu fault, as I've probably mentioned before, is this hidden natural paradise in the middle of pretty typical farm land. I've been visiting this part of the country for 5 years, and never knew this was here until last year, because it's tucked away in this deep valley/fault. You can't even see it really until you get right to the edge of the fault and then you look down and see this incredible green rain forest. We have some visitors coming later this week to see, and so several staff, a local guide and myself walked from top to bottom today as a  trial run. It was tough, the vegetation is thick--genuine jungle--and there's plenty of loose rock, some small enough to turn your ankle, some large enough to crush you if you were in the wrong place at the wrong time; not a hike for the unfit, or the clumsy. It's a wonder I made it to the bottom really. Total distance about 8-10 km from where the trail (and I use  that term loosely) starts to where we  could pick up a road where  a vehicle could  get to. We want to make this fault part of a watershed management project, working with local farm communities  to help them improve their farm income  while at the same time protecting the natural heritage. A very fun day, lot's of rock scrambling, and although I'm exhausted, I'm looking forward to going back with the visitors on Friday. Which means you'll be seeing more photos at some point after that.
(My apologies for these very low resolution shots, I'm at a very slow internet cafe located in the local high school--it's the only one around and it took me almost an hour to upload these four tiny files)
Looking down the fault itself from somewhere near the top
One of several huge trees that won't fit in my camera view
There are also several nice waterfalls,  much bigger now than when I was here last since the rainy season is starting--which is another  thing, I wouldn't want to be walking down here if  there was a heavy storm upstream--flash  flooding seems like a distinct possibility
This is not muddy water, it's some sort of orange algae. Maybe it's very common,  I don't know, but in case it's some sort of rare species found only in this valley, I'd like it to be called Morikawus bobbii  please.

1 comment:

cindy said...

Love that tree.