Sunday, January 27, 2013

I managed to catch this guy on the bicycle just as he disappeared around this corner at an impossible speed. He whipped past us in a car and I barely had time to get my camera up and take this shot. This is a long and very steep hill that drops about 500 metres from the countryside above to the town of Bujumbura below and bicycle taxis like this make this journey with two or three huge sacks of charcoal tied to the back. Braking seems to be done with one sandal actually made out of a car tire while the other foot is actually bare. I don't think it's actually possible to stop on this grade and at the speed we saw him go by. I'm guessing that if something happens he just throws himself clear and hopes for the best. One bag of charcoal can be bought in the country (top of the hill) for about 7 or 8 dollars and  sold in  town  (bottom of the hill) for 12-16 dollars

No comments: