Thursday, February 18, 2010

I think there's a temptation to try to re-write major life events like this in our own image. I'm finding in the past 24 hours that Haiti seemed to be the theme of everything. The fortune cookie at lunch. Driving, where I had the urge to edge my car as close to or even slightly over the centre line so as to simulate the experience of traffic in Haiti where swerving for on-coming cars, or being swerved around is the norm (don't worry! I only thought about it). And every song on the radio seemed somehow to be about Haiti:

"you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"
"I can see your halo, I pray you won't fade away"
"If I could change the world..."
"Baby just give me one reason, and I'll turn right back around"

This little mental game is greatly helped by the fact that the word "Haiti" can easily be substituted for the word "baby". In fact Beyonce did record a version of her Halo song where she did exactly that, and this is getting quite a bit of airplay in-country.

No comments: