Sunday, February 14, 2010

I figured I should get at least one shot of the hundreds of flying machines of every description which are passing overhead all the time. Where I am staying is just a km or two from the airport, so I get to see lots of craft taking off and landing. The volume has diminished noticeably lately but there is still lots. The first week I was here, there were planes taking off every 2 to 3 minutes. They must have had some pretty stressed out air traffic controllers over there. All the UN operations are also located at least temporarily at the Logistics Base at the airport (everyone in the know calls it the "log base", there's an abbreviation for everything). It is not really the ideal situation, since every meeting I have attended has to observe several obligatory moments of 'silence', while some enormous military transport plane rumbles overhead. Those things seem to me like rockets with wings. The ground shakes and you wonder if it's a plane or a tremor. In fact the other day a helicopter flew a little too low over a neighbourhood, and a bunch of school children mistook it for an earthquake and stampeded out of the building resulting in several minor injuries. Unfortunate, I guess, but one has to look at the larger picture which is all this air transport is the lifeblood of the country right now. In a way it makes me feel good to know that all that military might can save lives instead of taking them.

No comments: