Tuesday, February 09, 2010

I don't know about officially, but I can for sure see that the process of rebuilding has already begun. Or perhaps I should say the process of demolition. Below you will see a photo from across the street where workers are painstakingly tearing apart a house by breaking it down with mallets. At various times I can hear mallet pounding in other parts of the neighbourhood, and I know that driving through PaP I have seen this taking place in a number of locations. Of course some of the big and important buildings are being taken down with cranes and dozers, but at the micro-level, houses are slowly being turned into little bits of rock. It seems to me that the most likely outcome of all this is that people will rebuild their houses using the same construction techniques that have always been used leaving folks just as vulnerable as before.

No comments: