Saturday, February 06, 2010

So there's electricity again in Croix des Bouquets. This is a town or suburb of Port au Prince, and where I am staying for the time being. I had heard that there would be no electricity for months. But, street lights are on, and the fridge is running in the house where I am staying. Apparently in other parts of Port au Prince, there are so many power lines down, that they can't turn the system on for fear of mass electrocutions. I guess those are the parts that will take months to get current. Seeing lights on, and hearing a fridge humming is lulling me into a false sense of normalcy. Fortunately I was told by one aid worker today that she is working from 5am to 12pm everyday. Knowing this should keep my illusions in check. Plus I was complaining about 6 am to 10 pm days


Lights on--note the gecko to the right: how do they stay upside down like that?

No comments: