Saturday, September 22, 2012

Petronas towers, Kuala Lumpur. Another one of my, I'm not sure what to call them, micro-vacations maybe.  Passing through a place leaving just enough time to meet all those qualifications I have for saying I've genuinely been in another country, ie. got the stamp in my passport, taken local transportation, eaten a local meal, and used the local facilities. So far I've only done the first two, but it's 2:30 am here so the other two will have to wait til tomorrow. These buildings used to be the tallest in the world. Truthfully, it was about the only thing I knew about this place. But I have to say my first impressions are good. The airport was clean and well organized, passing immigration was fast and pleasant. It made me realize that there are sort of three categories of country immigration officers. Those that seem  like they don't want you in  their country, those that seem completely indifferent and barely acknowledge that they are dealing with another human being, and those that seem to actually want you to visit their country. I would say Malaysian immigration fits the third category, based on this one experience. Some other countries (which shall remain nameless), not so much. I actually think the immigration experience can tell you quite a bit about a country. So kudos Malaysia.

No comments: