Monday, February 18, 2013

I should probably mention that I think I had malaria. First time ever, at least as far as I know. And I'm not completely certain that I had it this time either. But Thursday during the day, I started feeling really tired. I didn't eat much lunch, and went home early from work. As the evening went on I was feeling progressively worse, with a fever and chills, headache, nausea, and diarrhea. I lay in my room in the dark, feeling terrible, and spending what little energy I had debating whether I had malaria or not. Finally I decided that it probably was. It was an important decision because I try to always carry an emergency dose of anti-malarial medicine with me, for exactly an occasion like this. So I dragged myself out of bed, got a glass of water (not that easy believe me), and started the treatment. The idea is that you take a whole bunch of medicine on day one, and knock out the parasite. This is followed up by several days of more mild doses to completely eliminate (hopefully) any residual bugs lurking in your blood. Maybe it was just psychological, but within minutes of taking the first dose, I started feeling better. The next day I was back at work, although still feeling a bit queasy, but by day 2 I was almost 100%. Today is my last day of drugs. Good thing I'm on vacation.

No comments: