Sunday, November 25, 2012

Now everytime I pass by these fields, I am compelled to look and see how the soil conservation and tree planting we did on a massive scale as part of earthquake response is holding up. Two years later there is considerable loss, as would be expected, but there are a few pockets where farmers have been able to protect their fields from marauding goats and other troubles. This field in the foreground is one. I don't know if you can really see but there are a bunch of trees on the first hill that are doing pretty well, and 3-5 metres in height.

1 comment:

Rebecca Orrison, St. Clements said...

Wow, this is such a striking photo. I saw these same hillsides two years ago and I remember them as being much more barren. It's so beautiful to see all these trees, especially the pine in the foreground.