Saturday, September 25, 2010

Driving in Haiti

Driving in Haiti is a game of inches. Being aware of your vehicle space 360 degrees around is always recommended, but here it is an absolute necessity. More than 360 really because one has to keep an eye downwards for potholes, trenches, sewage drains without covers, shoulders of roads that drop off into deep ravines, etc. Driving through markets is of particular interest since there maybe a small pile of oranges on the ground on one side of you and a market stall, or a parked vehicle on the other. This morning in fact, I got trapped between a pile of breadfruit on my right with my left rear bumper hooked into the right front bumper of the tap-tap (public pickup truck carrying 10-15 passengers) on the other side. The tap-tap driver had to nudge his vehicle gently away from mine while I backed up almost imperceptibly so we could unhook vehicles without scratching each other. I wish I had photos of this, but hope you understand why I don't.

No comments: