Monday, April 06, 2009

Incheon Airport

I used to think that Singapore airport was the nicest one I had been to, but now I believe it has been replaced by Incheon. This is a beautiful facility, with all the things I am looking for, free internet of course, seats with no  arm-rests which allows one to find an unoccupied area and stretch out for a nap. It is also very clean. Maybe that won't last as it starts to age, but it really makes one feel much better about hanging around.  Even the bulgolgi I had for lunch was quite delicious and would be worthy of and 'outside' restaurant. And little details like the plants, which are real, and it appears that the airport may have designed their own containers to hold larger shrubs and trees.  I think you can see that the plant in the photo is even labelled, which I love. 

They have also set up these 'Korean Cultural Experience Zones' where visitors can see various cultural items, make crafts, and hear live performances. Below is a musician in traditional dress, playing some sort of Korean guitar (sorry I don't know the name). The sound is very woeful and just added a whole other dimension to my visit.

In general, the airports of south east Asia are in great shape, and seem to symbolize the rising fortunes and power of this region, just as much if not more than tall business buildings and sports facilities.

No comments: