Saturday, September 19, 2015

Today I had one of those fortuitous experiences that ever tourist hopes for and is thankful for when it happens. I got to a museum that was interesting and important to me but unfortunately just as they were closing. But a few of the staff very gratiously offered to take a few minutes to explain things to me. Which was the best thing. Their explanation gave me a behind-the-scenes view of the history here and our conversation ranged well beyond the museum to education, politics, regional conflict, and Syrian refugees. Unfortunately a happening like that is rare and can't be repeated I don't think. It can only be appreciated for what it is. 

About refugees, apparently because Hungary is closing their border this is putting more pressure on countries in the Balkans. For example there are lots of refugees in Belgrade, the Serbian capital. Both private citizens and government are doing what they can, but these are not countries with a lot of resources. I myself have not seen many or possibly any, although today I saw an old man who looked like he was weary from walking a long way. He was wearing dirty clothes that looked more middle eastern to me than Balkan, and he was carrying a small cloth folded up on the corners, like he was carrying his possessions.  Perhaps he was just a local homeless person, but he just looked like he was from far away in every sense. If so you wonder where he might be hoping to go, and what has got him this far all on his own.

No comments: