Monday, September 14, 2015

I'm posting this courtesy of the Stari Grad municipality of Sarajevo free wifi. Pretty progressive I would say. Can you imagine if my town made wifi available as a public service? I don't even know what the logistics would be like on that.

Anyhow, I'm at at riverside patio just down the street from the Latin Bridge where Archduke Ferdinand was shot--the incident that triggered World War I. Sadly, this is one of the very few facts I can say I legitimately learned in school about the Balkans. In fact the corner where you see "museum" in the photo is the exact spot where the infamous deed was done. 

What is fascinating to me is that there are so few moments in history where one single event so clearly defines an era. More often it seems to me, history is an accumulation of a bunch of small and less well defined events that add up to make something observable. 

"Sure" you say, "the causes of WWI were much more complex than that".  But the fact remains that a decision by a very small handful of people or maybe even one guy, precipitated a continental war that lasted years and cost millions of lives.

No comments: