Monday, September 21, 2015

I think the surprise of the trip was Sofia. I was expecting drab and utilitarian, but what I found was vibrant and fascinating.  I guess I was a victim of Cold War brainwashing. Other than the scamming taxi driver it was a delightful experience.

In the late 1800's the Russians, Bulgarians, and several other Balkan countries fought the declining Ottoman empire. When Ottomans were finally driven out of Sofia, there was no bell to be found in the principal church at the time, the Hagia Sofia church since it had been converted to a mosque. A bell was found (provided by the Russian army I think), and suspended from a tree just outside the church so that it could be rung to celebrate independence. The bell remains outside the church in a tree to this day

No comments: