Thursday, August 07, 2014

Finally photos as promised. Only 3 days late. This first shot shows several lines of trees planted on a hillside. The slightly older (maybe 4-8 years old) trees in the foreground are obvious, but if you look about 3-4 metres down the slope you will see another line of smaller trees that are maybe 2-3 years old. And you'll have to take my word for it, or try to zoom in really close, but there is another line of new seedlings another 3-4 metres down the slope that appear to have been planted this year. Like I said in my post earlier this week, these are discoveries I made just walking around on my own. I don't know for certain who planted them or why, but I found examples like this pretty much everywhere I went. So whether we, as an organiztion, get credit or not is not really the point. Either way lots of trees are getting planted.

This is Calliandra. In this case the family has planted it along the edge of their property, and are chopping it regularly at ground level so it is growing like a hedge. This is serving (probably) at least 4 functions, which include marking the edge of the property, creating a barrier against soil erosion, providing fodder for livestock (calliandra is high in protein), and providing firewood for the family (ideal for cooking). Some people would say, "well calliandra is not native to east Africa so it is threatening the ecosystem". I would say it may be doing the opposite. By allowing families to collect firewood from their own backyard, it reduces the need to send wives or children far into the forest, where they will be most likely cutting down native species.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Really great info Bob and very inspiring.