Thursday, May 30, 2013

A scarf in the colours of the Tanzanian flag hand made by a member of one of the savings groups here. Well hand made using one of those weaving machines. It's not a loom, it looks more like a keyboard except the keys have been replaced by a bunch of loops which allow the user to make fairly complex items. It's kind of one step between handmade and automation I guess. Pretty cool technology which I've seen in some pretty remote places. Allows a rural business person to compete on a larger market. I sat in the shop where these are made and sold for maybe a half an hour while one of our staff met with the owner. It was kind of fun to watch actual customers approach, look at wares, and negotiate. I even saw one purchase. The owner gave me this scarf if I promised to promote her product. So if you're  interested let me know. She's willing to accept orders.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I would like a Tanzania-flag-colored scarf!