Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Almost every time I visit Haiti, I try to see one farmer's plot which I've  been following since 2005 when he planted it. Now, 7 years later it's becoming a small forest. This small grove of trees (Simarouba glauca for those who care) has survived goats, hurricanes, earthquakes, and vandalism, thanks to Jessner's perseverance--goats being the worst of all.  He told me today when I shot this photo, that trees are life, when we're born, it's on a bed made of wood, and when we die it's in a box made of wood. And in between we survive on avocado, oranges, and mangos. The second photo is from 2007, just for reference. He may even be standing beside the exact same tree.



1 comment:

Sky said...

Bob, the second photo which you referenced to be in 2007 looks incredibly more lush and tropical than the first picture. I would have thought the exact opposite in that the second picture was the more recent time frame because the trees and plants look immensely healthy and more proliferative. The green hues are a painter's delight. I love that the Haitian people speak in poetic thought.