Saturday, March 27, 2010

Yesterday I was coming in from work around 8:30 pm, driving along the dirt road to the house where I am staying, kind of thinking about what a long day I had had. Then in the dark beside me, appeared a woman walking, carrying her empty baskets which during the day had probably been full of whatever merchandise she was selling. She had clearly had an even longer day, and walking in the hot sun instead of driving. She was also probably heading to the nearby tent city and instead of being able to sleep in a safe and dry tent like myself, she would be sleeping under a tarp wrapped provisionally around some wooden poles, or worse under cotton sheets. This made my tired long day suddenly seem like an absurd joke. The whole situation just underscored for me yet again the unbelievable enormity of what has happened here. In spite of all our best efforts. I don't mean to downgrade in any way the relief efforts that are going on. In many ways they have been heroic. But we should all be humbled by vastness of this, whatever it is. In a strange kind of way it is sort of like looking up at the stars at night and realizing what a tiny speck we are in this great big universe.

No comments: