Friday, March 20, 2009

Well, I can say, that after trekking up and down farms here for the past 2 weeks, that people are definitely planting lots of trees, and the trees are doing well. It is a little harder to separate how much tree planting is just normal tree planting, and how much has been influenced by our program. We do try to collect data to show the the program is having an impact, but based on what I've seen with my own eyes, I would say that farmers have been encouraged to plant more trees. There are new trees (1-5 years old), on almost every farm we visited. In fact, for the carbon program we are hoping to implement, this is ironically a problem, since farmers are filling up every available space, and on some farms there may be no new space for carbon planting. We are trying to work on a design which will not penalize these motivated and forward thinking farmers.

Some of the many new trees that I saw on farms during the past 2 weeks

No comments: