Monday, March 16, 2009

Today around noon our motorcycle got a flat tire. Convenient, since we could drop it off at the local tire repair, and walk 5 minutes to one of the favourite lunch spots in the market. When lunch was over we returned to the tire repair but since the repair was not quite finished, I ducked into the shop next door for shade. It happened to be a tailor shop, and I had just noticed walking over that my travel briefcase (REI no less)--in which we were carrying all our survey gear, had a design flaw. Hard to explain, but I realized that a few quick stitches would fix the problem, and since I happened to be standing right in a tailor shop at that moment, I asked if they could make the improvement. Which the tailor did immediately and it took him about 5 minutes. I should patent the idea and sell to REI. The tailor didn't even charge me for the work. And while this was going on, I ran into a farmer who is growing organic coffee and had agreed to prepared 1 kg of green coffee beans for me last week. We were able to finish our transaction, and arrange for the beans to be delivered to me within the next day or two. At about that same time the tire repair was done, and we hopped on the bike and headed back to work. I love it when things seem to work together like that. Only in a third world market, I think

No comments: