Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Today was a good day. So was yesterday if you're asking but today was good also. We secured the water quality monitoring station so it definitely will not wash away in a big storm, and trained staff in how to retrieve the data. Which turns out to be almost too easy. We have invested in some dataloggers which record data automatically and will continue to do so for as long as the battery lasts, about 1 year. And the logger transmits data to your smartphone which means no wading into dangerous rivers, no connecting with complicated cables, very easy sharing of data between users.

I'm also noticing, that at least the two times I have done a water quality datalogger installation, it leads one to some of the most interesting and beautiful places. The upper Ozama river, which you see in the photo, is practically national park material in my opinion. In fact it would be a good step to protecting an important source of water for millions of people, but I don't believe that any such plan exists. If there is a long term plan, it is likely to turn this area over to mining interests. By the way, if you look in the middle of the picture, on the far side of the river, you will see a white post sticking up out of the water. That is our monitoring station--but accessible by phone from this side of the river. Cool huh?

But I digress. This good day is ending with me enjoying a plate of cassava and salt herring--a traditional dish both here and in Haiti. And best of all, when I asked the waitress for water, she didn't bring me bottled water! She brought me regular drinking water like regular non-touristy people drink. Small victory, I know. Still, good end to a good day.

No comments: