Wednesday, January 22, 2014

This was my transportation for past couple days. It was definitely a good way to get around in spite of the uncoolness factor. For 3 USD perday (apparently cheaper elsewhere) I could go whereever I wanted whenever I wanted. This was very much in keeping with my free picture taking mode. Turns out Siem Reap is on some kind of wetland/floodplain so its pretty flat and a bicycle can get by on just one gear. Plus the much needed exercise. I got lucky there too because it hasn't been overly hot--maybe mid 20's so cycling was a pleasure. The wetland/floodplain is important I think for another reason. I was wondering on the plane, looking down at such a large flat area criss crossed by rivers, canals, marshes and rice paddy, if the geology of the area was in any way related to the civilization that emerged. This morning it hit me: sand. Alluvial plains like this region are likely over time to produce sandstone and sandstone is easily quarried, blocked and sculpted. All of the structures at Angkor Wat just happen to be made out of sandstone.

No comments: