Friday, January 24, 2014

Crossing the street in Phnom Penh.  I read that this is one of the worst  places for pedestrians in SE  Asia. I'd have to say it's one of the hard places I've  been  in for walking. But on this, day 2 here,  I have started to notice some patterns that make it a bit more manageable. On day one I almost got hit a couple times. But if drivers see a pedestrian (most, not all!) they will start to drift, if they have space to the side of the road that will make it easier for the pedestrian to cross. This in some cases may mean aiming towards you, which looks like craziness, but actually opens the space in front of you to cross. I don't know if I've explained that properly, but it's like (from driver's perspective) if you aim right at a moving target, you  will definitely miss  it. This works great for scooters and motorcycles, not so great for tuk-tuks and trucks. If you were here you would see what I  mean. But on day one, not understanding this driver/pedestrian agreement, I would panic a bit and this made things worse. The point is (maybe) that there's  actually a flow  to things and it takes a bit to understand. Not that after two days I claim to understand Phnom Penh. But I like it when things start to make sense even a little bit.

1 comment:

Keith Bundock said...


Great...what's a tuk-tuk? Keith.