Friday, June 08, 2012

I had a chance to visit a microwatershed project being taken on by on of the community groups where we are collaborating. The group is planning, on their own initiative to reforest 10 acres of land that border the Kilimanjaro National Park. So far they have planted over 4000 seedlings on 2 acres. You can see in the photo below, the large trees in the background, which are on the other side of a stream and are actually in the park. The side where folks are standing is on private land, land owned by farmers who are part of this particular group. If you look closely you can see a few of the 4000 seedlings scattered around. People in the photo are a mixture of community members and our staff. I took this shot with a zoom lens so  I  was pretty far away, but I tell myself they were talking about about a better future.


No comments: