Sunday, May 27, 2012

Had a bit of a scare yesterday when I couldn't seem to retrieve any pictures off the memory card on my camera. Somehow through the last week, the card itself had suffered physical damage, and coincidentally acquired a virus. After a few moments of panic, some creative use of scotch tape, and following some obscure instructions from the internet, I'm happy to report that all those photos of corn and trees have survived. 

Yesterday I visited the Dominican museum of modern art. All these years of coming here, and I've never once visited a museum up until now. Kind of sad, I admit. It was pretty interesting too. Below is a photo of a painting called "El Sacrificio del Chivo" by an artist named Pichardo. What's interesting is that the goat (chivo) symbolized Trujillo, the brutal dictator of the DR from 1930 to 1961. This painting was done in 1958, and was intended to symbolize the Dominican people rising up against oppression. All in secret of course. Had Trujillo known the true meaning of the painting, I suppose Pichardo would have been the goat.



1 comment:

Natanael Disla said...

I have always liked that painting. The complete name of the artist is Eligio Pichardo.