Thursday, March 01, 2012

Forget practicing how to pronounce Chang Pheuk Gate. Thanks to poor weather in Toronto, and what seems to be a very chaotic system at the airport for de-icing planes, my first flight of the day ended up getting cancelled after we taxied around on the runway for about 3 hours. Very frustrating. However, thanks to my constant mantra--no checked bags--I was able to get on another flight in the afternoon to Bejing instead of Hong Kong which will put me into my final destination at almost the same time as I had orignally planned. When I went to the airline staff at the gate after all 300 frustrated passengers deplaned the first time, the staff were mainly in crowd-control mode, and not really that interested in helping me or any other individual. But when the representative I was talking to found out I had no checked luggage her facial expression went from despondent to hopeful. I mean you could literally see her thinking, "hey, I can actually help this person". She quickly directed me around the corner to another service desk out of sight of the angry mobs, and I got help and a brand new ticket within minutes. Last seat on the plane, but somehow I managed to end up not only in  my  favourite window seat, but also in an emergency exit row, with lots of leg room.

So here I am in the Bejing airport enroute. I didn't leave the airport, but I did get a country  stamp in my passport even  though I was just in transit. So this is kind of a grey area. What do you  think, can I count it as a legitmate country visit?



3 comments:

cindy said...

You know I am pretty generous but you can't bend the rules on this one. No outside airport, no country.

Sky said...

I concur with Cindy.

sherrysworld said...

If you at least wandered the shops that carry local goods, you can sort of count it. It is kind of the level that I'm able to claim Japan. I spent a day in their airport.
Sherry