Thursday, January 28, 2010

Something I am learning from this situation is that people (and by people, I mean me) only see what they want to see. What I see as I drive through Port au Prince is not the destruction and the terrible living conditions, but I see people adapting, living with courage. I am aware that this is me trying to paint things for myself as brightly as possible, and I catch myself when people point stuff out to me, like, "look at that building", and I realize I had totally filtered it out, and was looking at the merchants still selling produce on the sidewalk, in front of the crumbled blocks, as they always have--just the background has changed.

I apologize for my lack of blogging. I am blaming on a combination of bad internet, and super long days which leave me exhausted and in no condition to type. Plus there is always my tent to set up, carefully placed as far from the nearest buildings. Small tremors continue, although I have not felt any in the past couple days. They have been small, but it feels to me like the earth is growling like a dog, getting ready to attack.

1 comment:

Bev and Donnie said...

Glad to hear from you Bob. Love and Prayers for you and the work you are doing in Haiti.
Bev and Donnie