Sunday, March 08, 2020

On the flight home, when breakfast was served, the Ethiopian Airlines flight attendant asked me if I wanted eggs, pancakes, or ful. Normally I find airplane breakfast uninspiring but my ears perked up when she said ful. This is a bean dish cooked with pepper and other spices and is usually served with fresh baked bread. Really delicious. So right away I asked for the ful. Then very next second though, I thought, "Oh, they would never serve ful on an international flight, she must have meant "full" as in eggs plus pancakes." I figured I was having one of those weird cultural transition moments, not quite knowing what context I was in and hearing something from the wrong place or time. So imagine my delight upon opening the foil lid to discover that, a) I had heard things correctly, and b) I was going to get to enjoy ful one last time on this trip. I was so excited I almost went back to the service area to tell the flight crew that was the best airplane breakfast ever but I thought they might think I was a crazy person. Seriously though, best airline breakfast ever.

No comments: