Saturday, May 28, 2011

So now that the data has been collected, I've spent the better part of the last couple of days trying to get it entered on a spreadsheet. So far I've entered 90+ of 120 surveys total. This includes double checking of every single data point before moving on. A slow, and somewhat tedious process, but worth the trouble to preserve the truth so to speak. I recently read a book on statistical analysis, where the author said that he spends about 20% of his time actually doing the analysis and about 80% of his time getting the data in proper shape. This I don't think includes the actual collection of data, which would make the actual proportion of the time doing analysis even smaller.

So the page of the survey you see below, if you actually take a closer look, includes questions like, how old are you?, what kind of techniques do you apply on your farm?, and how much soil are you losing on your farm? Incidently I've been tracking the average number of persons per household as I've been entering the data. Up til now the average from our survey is 4.15 persons/household. The official 2002 government census reports 4.05 persons/hh for the same municipality. Just a small check, but makes me feel good about the data so far.

No comments: