Thursday, July 22, 2010

Food Traditions

I made what for me was an exciting discovery last night. For pretty much everyone else it probably will seem at best obscure. In a random conversation about food with some people who by coincidence happened to be from the very western end of the southern pennisula of Haiti, a place called Jeremie I learned that they eat a porridge made from breadfruit, corn, or cassava. I've known about the breadfruit porridge for some time, made by pounding the breadfruit into a flour (known as Tonm Tonm) with a pestel and mortar, and then putting the flour in hot water and stirring to make a thick porridge. I did not know about the corn flour porridge (known as zokran) or the cassava flour porridge (known as kafondi) until tonight. What's interesting to me is that they make exactly the same kind of porridge in East and Central Africa from both corn and cassava. Furthermore, the Haitians in this part of the island eat the porridge with their hands and dip it in various sauces prepared with meat. This is exactly how the Africans eat it. And the Jeremie area is the only part of the island where I am aware that they do this. It would make, I think, a very fascinating anthropological study to figure out if there is a connection between this Haitian food and the African food, and why only this furthest part of the island. I have always wanted to visit Jeremie, but even more so now, because I would like to try all three, and also see if the way they eat is the same as in Africa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have time to make the trip down there.

DSonke said...

I'm with you - this is very cool. I'd love to go to Jeremie with you and experience this. Did you know that West Africa also is the source of accra? You can find African recipes similar to Haitian accra and with similar names.