Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas

I think I just heard my first Christmas carols of the season being sung in Swahili by a group called Maimbo Pamoja, on a TV mounted in the lobby, next to the oscillating fan in the Muslim guesthouse, while waiting for my room receipt for 8000 Shillings. The guesthouse is in a dryland plain area in the town of Boma, about 15 minutes from the Kilimanjaro airport. For some reason, experiencing 'Gloria in excelsis Deo" completely cut off from all my normal cultural cues, without any fanfare or flourish, made it a moving moment for me. Now I begin my long journey home, including the not to be missed extended layover in the Nairobi airport, where I am beginning to recognize some of the employees and vice versa. Perhaps I will wish them a Merry Christmas.

No comments: